Friday, February 22, 2013

Top 10 Things I Learned At the Moses Organic Conference

Day One of the MOSES conference is in the books.  And, folks, it was a great one!  I'd like to share the  Top 10 Things I Learned At the Moses Organic Conference:

1.  Diverse is how I would describe the attendees.  Where else would you see an elderly Amish woman sitting next to a pink haired young man with giant washers in his ears and they are both there to learn how to raise dairy cows without grain??

2.  Organic and sustainable farming is NOT taking farming into the 1800's.  You would not believe the technical research, tools and management that are available.  It is inspiring and amazing!

3.  I had the greatest conversation with a hoophouse salesman and he pointed me to a solution at another booth.  Where else would THAT happen?

4.  As a non-coffee drinker, it is rare to be at a meeting or conference and have alternative beverages available.  But, here at MOSES, there are organic milks, juices, teas, coffees, and water.

5.  The bookstore is nothing short of amazing.  I was very careful with my purchases and spent about $50 for four books:

  • Root Cellaring by Mike and Nancy Bubel
  • The Naturally Clean Home by Karyn Siegel-Maier
  • The Herbal Home Remedy Book by Joyce A. Wardell
  • The Economics of Happiness by Mark Anielski
6.  Listening to other farmers talk about their operations, their successes and challenges is the most amazing part of this conference.  The solutions for common problems are elegant in their simplicity.  Let's not over think it!

7.  One of my favorite fellow woman farmers is from Maine.  Abby and I farm in similar ways and face similar challenges.  We spent our first two sessions together and shared our responses...to be able to share and have someone know EXACTLY how you feel and been there themselves is so empowering and comforting.

8.  My friend Lori got to meet one of her hoophouse heroes and visited for almost an hour with him.  And although I didn't know who he was, for her it was like spending an hour with Uncle Joel would be for me.

9.  It is completely and utterly impossible NOT to be inspired to grow something, ANYTHING when you are here.

10.  The food is great.  The workshops are great.  The people are great.  What's not to love??

1 comment:

  1. Hi Annie~ I was catching up with you a bit... sounds like you had a great time in Wisconsin! I have a book you should add to your list... Radical Homemakers by Shannon Hayes. I am 23 pages into it and have already read Davin some because I underlined it! Take care...Kristi

    ReplyDelete

I read each and every comment, thank you for sharing in our farm!