Thursday, February 21, 2013

Thankfully there wasn't a spoon handy

I have spent the past day and a half in meetings.  Painful meetings.  The organization that I work for is a member of a collaborative group of like-minded organizations who all provide a particular training course.  We meet as a group twice a year and are currently going through a strategic planning phase.

Just typing the words "strategic plan" makes me twitch.

I've done strategic planning for other organizations and groups.  And it has never, NEVER been as painful as this process has been.  I had to take an extended lunch break just so that I could decompress and regroup.

"What's the problem?", you ask.

Well, you see, I'm a doer.  I do things.  I like to do things.  I don't like to sit and discuss things until there is absolutely nothing left to discuss and then discuss the fact that there is nothing left to discuss.  It makes my head hurt and my blood pressure rise.  As an introvert, I detest small talk.  Get to point and move on.  This strategic planning session was all SMALL TALK.  I just about couldn't take it, I was looking for a way out.  There weren't any spoons handy or I would have gouged my own eyes out.

But...that torture has ceased and it's on to the MOSES Organic Conference tomorrow and I. CANNOT.  WAIT!!!  Lots to see, do, and learn.  People to meet and re-meet.  Books and literature to buy.  Organic food to eat.  Just soak it in and be inspired.

Ahhhhhhhhh, I can feel sustainable agriculture seeping into my very pores and it feels so good!

1 comment:

  1. I think you're in good company.

    A quote from Barbara Kingsolver: "I start fidgeting at any community meeting where the first item on the agenda is to discuss and vote on the order of the other items on the agenda; I have to do discreet yoga relaxation postures in my chair to keep myself from hollering, “Yo, people, life is short!”"

    ReplyDelete

I read each and every comment, thank you for sharing in our farm!