Monday, October 8, 2012

How to Make Green Tomato Salsa

It's end-of-the-season garden time.  When we look at the piles of garden produce that we desperately grabbed before the killing frost.  What do we do with it all??

A box of jalapeno peppers... a BOX!  There's only so many poppers one can make.

And green tomatoes!  We're not in the south, so frying them is out of the question.

Green Tomato Salsa it is!!  I have a hard time waiting until frost to make this deliciously simply salsa.  I got the recipe from my dear friend Sue.  As we're not big chip eaters, salsa is more of an ingredient in this house.  I use this salsa in recipes that call for diced green chilis.  And if you've ever paid the horrendous price on cans of diced green chilis, this end-of-the-season salsa is very economical!

I do the peppers first.


Chop off the stem end.


Then halve them.


And now for my secret weapon...the grapefruit spoon!


I use the spoon to quickly and easily slide out the seeds and ribs of the peppers.


Works like a charm!


Toss the halves in your food processor.


Chip, chop, chip!  In just a few minutes, a processor full of pepper halves.  If they are tiny peppers, I just cut off the stem and throw the whole thing in.


Pulse until the peppers are between diced and minced.  We need 4 cups of peppers!  Like I said, it's a great way to use up those excess peppers.


Now the green tomatoes.  Remove the stems.


Halve them.


Quarter them and remove the core.  It's woody and doesn't make for good salsa.


Pulse the tomatoes to the same size as the peppers.  You'll need 16 cups of tomatoes.


Then your camera dies and you need to finish this eternal canning.

Green Tomato Salsa Recipe
16 cups green tomatoes
4 cups jalapenos
1 cup vinegar
1/4 cup salt

Heat to boiling.  Ladle into hot jars.  Process for 10 minutes for pints, 5 minutes for half-pints in a boiling water bath.

That's it!  



1 comment:

  1. I've got plenty of peppers that I wasn't sure what to do with. Now I know. I can use them and some of the green tomatoes and have canned green chilies for my recipes.

    ReplyDelete

I read each and every comment, thank you for sharing in our farm!