Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Breakfast (or lunch) Burritos

Kiddo1 is booked for her preschool screening next month.  And we, as parents, have to fill out an assessment of her skills.  One question threw me for a loop:  "Pours own cereal and milk".  

I had to answer no.  Not because Kiddo1 can't do it, but because we don't eat cold cereal.  I think she could do it, but in all honesty I've never seen her do it.

So what do we eat if we don't eat cold cereal?

As pastured egg producers, we eat a lot of eggs in all shapes and forms.  Here's a quick recipe that we love for breakfast or lunch - BURRITOS

I started sweating some veggies in 4 Tbsp of butter.  Yes, butter.  Only butter.
I grated one carrot, chopped up some red and orange bell pepper and mushrooms.
Cook until crisp tender.

While the veggies are cooking, whip up some eggs (there 16 in there) and some milk (1/2 cup of whole milk).

 When the veggies are crisp tender, pour in the eggs.  Err on the side of not quite done at this point.  The veggies will continue to cook with the eggs and we don't want them to be mushy when we're done.  

Don't stir/flip the eggs until you see steam pockets along the edge of your pan.

If you were worried we didn't have anything green in our eggs, these babies are waiting until the eggs are cooked.  Nothing tastes like spring more than fresh chives from the herb garden!

 I added a generous portion of seasoning salt to my eggs.  Not too much, because these wonderful eggs have a great flavor all their own.

Almost done, but still "wet".  I'll let them cook another minute or two.

There, now that's just perfect!  If there's one thing I can't stand, it's a scale-y egg.  ICK!  Hubby was making eggs the other morning and put 6 of them on his plate and none on mine.  When I questioned him he replied, "I got them scale-y.  I'll make you new ones."  Ahhhh, I love that man.
 Pull your eggs off the burner (and turn it off as well) so they don't continue to cook on the bottom.  The residual heat from the pan is plenty.

I had some tortillas languishing in my cupboard.  They were a little stiff.  I dampened a papertowel, laid it on the stack-o-tortillas and put them in the microwave for a minute.  Perfectly steamed tortillas!

Lay some of your egg mixture in the middle of your tortilla.

Sprinkle on the fresh chives.

Add some cheese.  This is Jack and Cheddar, but Pepper Jack would be wonderful!

Fold the bottom side up.

And the sides in.

And fold the whole thing over the top.

Spray your griddle with non-stick spray and lay them top-side-down.  My griddle is at 300-325 degrees.  I want the burritos to get crispy, they don't have to "cook".
 I made 7 fajita sized burritos for the kiddos.  When the first side is done, (see upper right corner) spray the pale side with non-stick spray and flip.

And 5 burrito sized ones for Hubby and I.  (And thereby used up all the tortillas in my cupboard.)
We ended up with leftovers, which is great because I just popped them in the freezer.  You can reheat them in the oven at 350 for a ready-made breakfast.

The verdict?  

These veggie packed burritos were a big hit with eaters young and old.
Kiddo3 loved her own kid-sized burrito.

And of course, burritos are great cowboy food.

And that's just one of the many things we eat that don't come from a box.  

Now, if the pre-school screening had questions like this:
"Cracks a dozen eggs for scrambled eggs and doesn't get any shells in the bowl." - YES
"Flips her own pancakes." - YES
"Gathers all the eggs" - YES

Kiddo1 would be at the top of the class!!



3 comments:

  1. She sure would be! Great post, Annie! Your kids are very blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, just one of the many biases in standardized education. :-) One of my goals is to allow my children to catch up a bit to your Kiddo #1 and the L. family kids in the kitchen. Most often, I'm so tired from interacting already (introvert hazard), that by kitchen time, I crave the empty kitchen. :-) But I'm working on it - you inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh, sometimes this mama needs quiet kitchen time as well. Last night we came in from the garden and I sent all three of them to the basement with Hubby so I could make dinner in peace. It worked for maybe 10 minutes....but they were a glorious 10 minutes! :)

    ReplyDelete

I read each and every comment, thank you for sharing in our farm!