Tuesday, December 11, 2012

How to Cook a Lamb Roast

With fresh lamb in the freezer, my mouth was watering at the thought of a roast.  Lamb roast is amazing and so easy to do.  Let me show you!

First we're going to sear that roast in a bit of oil over high heat.
Look at that color!


While you're searing it on all sides, chop up an onion and add it to the bottom of a roaster.


No fancy herbs or spices here, just salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.


See, isn't that beautiful?


Next, add about an inch of water to the bottom of the roaster.


One recipe I read for lamb roast said to add beef broth.  WHY??  If I wanted it to taste like beef, I would have roasted a beef!  We want it to taste like lamb so we just a bit of water to keep things moist.  We don't want to boil the meat.

Add the lid to seal in the moisture.




We're going to cook this low and slow.  This technique is called "braising" and is an excellent way to cook grass-fed meats. 

I started this roast just before 9am.  And yes, I do think about lamb before 9am.


We were having this roast for lunch.  

And a mere three hours later this is what we find!


Tender, delicious, fall apart yumminess.


I served this with an herbed rice and creamed peas...wonderful!

See how easy it is to cook lamb??

4 comments:

  1. This comment isn't about lamb - but I wanted to tell you that I saw sun dogs this morning on my way to work. And the reason I wanted to tell you that is because the first time I saw sun dogs I was with your family! I don't know what we were doing, but we were driving in your car and we saw them. And your mom was incredulous that I hadn't seen them before! LOL. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh, what a great memory! Thanks for sharing! I heard you guys got dumped on down there in the banana belt...

      Delete
  2. That lamb looks yummy! Beautifully tender and with creamed peas - haven't had those in years!
    I crock pot some lamb roasts - and roast others the traditional way, with garlic and rosemary stuck in. I've always thought of lamb roasts as pretty easy - mainly because they're small probably. Maybe because I've never yet (never say never) made one come out truly awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I burned the dickens out of one when we were butchering chickens one day. We were outside for a few hours and the liquid cooked away. I had to cut a bit of char off of it!

      Delete

I read each and every comment, thank you for sharing in our farm!