My favorite vegetable is not a common one to most folks.
Let me tout the virtues of this marvelous vegetable
- It is easy to grow, you can plant it first thing in the spring.
- It is beautiful to look at with its bright colored stems and dark green leaves. The city of Birmingham, AL planted this vegetable in their common area planters!
- It will produce all season long. You harvest the leaves as needed and they keep producing until a killing frost.
- It never bolts. It's a biennial so it would make seed the second year.
- It is so versatile. You can use it in any way that you use spinach. I use it in salads, pastas, sautes, as lettuce wraps, etc.
Sounds too good to be true, doesn't it?
I know what you're thinking, "But does it taste good?"
All three kiddos say "YES!"
I have to scold them in the garden because they would eat it all if I let them.
Swiss Chard...it's my favorite vegetable!