Thursday, May 20, 2010

Chocolate Cobbler

A friend of mine mentioned the other day, "Annie, you make the best desserts and you have yet to blog a dessert! Are you keeping your recipes a secret?" And the answer to that is absolutely NOT! I think people who have secret recipes are just big old meanie-heads (a term I've borrowed from my nephew). To remedy the lack of desserts I went looking for something new and oh-my-goodess, I think this is our favorite already...

I got this one from Tasty Kitchen, my new favorite recipe site. I love sites where real people post their best recipes, not some chef who needs to invent something new.

CHOCOLATE COBBLER
1 cup All-purpose Flour
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
¼ teaspoons Salt
7 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder, Divided
1-¼ cup Sugar, Divided
½ cups Milk
⅓ cups Melted Butter
1-½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
½ cups Light Brown Sugar, Packed
1-½ cup Hot Tap Water

Preparation Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
First stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, 3 tablespoons of the cocoa, and 3/4 cup of the white sugar. Reserve the remaining cocoa and sugar.
Stir in the milk, melted butter, and vanilla to the flour mixture. Mix until smooth.
Pour the mixture into an ungreased 8-inch baking dish. I prefer my small oval Corning Ware glass dish.
In a separate small bowl, mix the remaining white sugar (it should be 1/2 cup), the brown sugar, and remaining 4 tablespoons of cocoa. Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the batter.
Pour the hot tap water over all. DO NOT STIR!
Bake for about 40 minutes or until the center is set.
Let stand for a few minutes if you can hold yourself back. Serve with homemade ice cream using the gooey sauce to spoon over all.

Start with the flour, any kind will do. I used whole wheat!


Add the baking powder.


And the salt. This is Himalayan sea salt, but please, don't let my free salt intimidate you. Use any old salt. Salt brings out the flavor of the chocolate and we definitely want to do that!


Ahhhh, now the cocoa. I will admit that I didn't level off my tablespoon measures here. Oh shucks, if a little more fell in, I guess I'll survive.


The sugar bin in my pantry. I converted a closet when I moved in after the wedding. I did it while my husband was at work. I did a lot of things while he was at work. Better to ask forgiveness than have to justify permission, I've always said that!


That's your dry ingredients.


Add the milk. Kiddo1 shared her whole milk.


And the beautiful butter. Once again, please don't use plastic, I mean margarine. Really. You deserve better than that.


Ahhh, vanilla. This also brings out the chocolate flavor.


The melted butter. I think I was jittery from the excitement of this dessert. These photos are blurry.


Wet and dry ingredients. Get ready to whisk.


Post-whisking.


Use an 8x8 pan, please.


I tried something smaller the first time I made this dessert (see pan on top) and paid the price.


This was the price. Smoke billowing from my oven. Ick, I dislike that intensely.


Spread the mixture evenly on the bottom. Remember this pan is ungreased.


Now we're going to make the crusty part. Start with sugar.


Don't forget the brown sugar! Did you know brown sugar is just white sugar with molasses in it? Yup, it is.


And more cocoa. I think those are my favorite three words...


Mix this together with your fork.


It won't be perfectly uniform because of the moisture in the brown sugar, but that's fine!


Pour it on top of the batter.


There's the mountain of crustiness.


You're going to want to spread that out a bit.


Get your hot tap water.


And just pour it on top.


Resist absolutely all urges to stir. Put down the spoon!


Put it in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.


This should indicate how good this dessert really is. John and I dove into it before I remembered to take a finished photo! The outside bakes into a chewy brownie-like crust and the inside is molten chocolate heaven.


Here it is in my bowl, rich chocolate deliciousness. Oh my, I'm going to need a medic on standby.


CUE MEDIC!!!


There it is, my first dessert and let me tell you. This one is a keeper! It's so easy and the taste is out of this world. I recommend eating it piping hot with ice cream.

But gnawing on the pan the next morning was pretty good, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read each and every comment, thank you for sharing in our farm!