Monday, September 15, 2008

Tomatoes! Finally, Tomatoes!!

Even though fall is coming upon us, we still have lots of delicious produce to share with you! The new items this week are:

Winter Squash
This is the popular variety, Buttercup. It is sweet and smooth when cooked. You can cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and then bake them face up in a pan. Or cut the squash into sections, peel the rind off and cut the flesh into pieces and either bake or boil. These squash will store wonderfully in a cool, but not cold, place...like a garage or your back steps.


Pumpkins
I have two varieties of pumpkin. The first one is variety specifically bred for cooking and baking. "Small Sugar" is a sweet, flavorful pumpkin that cooks up wonderfully for pies, cookies, bars...even baby food! Of course, you can use them for decoration or carving, but they are delicious to eat!


The second pumpkin is a larger one. "Connecticut Field" is a large combination pumpkin. It is wonderful to carve (large face), good eating and has a larger cavity for more seeds. Either variety will give you delicious pumpkin taste you just can't get from a can. Cooking a pumpkin is the same as a winter squash and these pumpkins will also keep for quite a while in a cool place.


Sweet Potatoes
I had never grown sweet potatoes before, so I wasn't sure what to expect from my plants. I must admit, I've never been much of a sweet potato fan. I would eat them out of courtesy to the cook who prepared them, but let's just say they weren't the first thing I reached for at Thanksgiving! I don't have a picture of my sweet potatoes because I ate all the ones I dug to check on them!! They were fantastic! I simply peeled them, cut into pieces, boiled until soft, added some butter and brown sugar and mashed them with a fork. I almost cried, they were that good.

Tomatoes
What a relief to finally have tomatoes! I have three varieties:
Celebrity - a popular, all-purpose, medium-sized tomato that is great in sandwiches, as sauce or paste.
Brandywine - the standard in heirloom tomatoes, you haven't had a BLT until your "T" has been a Brandywine. These are large, very juicy tomatoes.
Amish Paste - a wonderful, meaty paste tomato. Amish are very similar to the Roma tomato, but I think they have better flavor. If you want a "knock-your-socks-off" spaghetti sauce, these are the tomatoes for you!
Please indicate which variety you would like in your order. I also have fresh basil to season your tomatoes!


CROP - QUANTITY - PRICE
Winter Squash - $3.00
Pumpkins
Large - $7.00
Small - $4.00
Sweet Potatoes - $3.00 per pound
Tomatoes - $2.00 per pound
Basil - $1.00 per bunch
Sweet Corn - 3 ears for $1.00
Cherry Tomatoes - $2.00 per sandwich bag
Peppers - 2 for $1.00 (please specify type)
Mesclun Salad Mix - $3.00 per bag
Swiss Chard - $3.00 per bag
Summer Squash - 4 for $1.00
New Potatoes - $2.00 per pound
Baby Romaine Lettuce - 1 gal bag - $3.00
Garlic - 2 plants - $1.00
Onion - 2 plants - $1.00
Shallot - 1 plant - $1.00

Please email your orders by 6pm on Wednesday for delivery on Thursday.
Thank you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read each and every comment, thank you for sharing in our farm!