Saturday, August 2, 2008

Even more wonderful food!

What a great week both for deliveries and at the farmers market! Thanks to everyone who participated and especially to our new customers...WELCOME! This week has been busy on the farm, a number of crops are peaking and others are starting up. The peas are in high gear, there are lots out there and the plants are still blooming. The beets are coming along, the onions and garlic are starting to dry down (just the tops), and the beans have exploded. Here's what we have for this week (the list keeps getting longer!):


We have both green and yellow beans and they are delicious! I love beans, just boil them and add a little butter, salt and pepper. A meal in itself!!! There are lots of beans out there and more blooms coming. This is a great crop to freeze for some great garden taste in the dead of winter. It's easy to blanch them and toss them in a bag and into the freezer.


The leaf lettuce is done for now. I have a fall planting of mesclun mix that will be ready in a couple of weeks. However, I planned for this very situation and we have a wonderful crop of romaine lettuce that is just coming ripe. This lettuce is far better tasting than the romaine in the grocery store...notice the dark green color? That means more taste and nutrients!


This may be a new crop to some of you. May I introduce SWISS CHARD! It is a leafy green that can be eaten similar to spinach. It tastes great in a salad or can be cooked with a little olive oil and garlic (my favorite way to eat it!).


These yellow beauties are Summer Squash. Some people refer to them as "crook necks" but these are a straight neck variety. I love these little guys. I saute them with zucchini and some onions for a quick side dish, throw them in a salad, add them to lasagna or spaghetti...you name it, they will add color and flavor!


Ahhhh, what you've all been waiting for...the CUCUMBERS! I have both slicers and picklers. Dig out grandma's recipe for pickles and go to it! If you need a recipe, I've got quite a few that I'm more than happy to share. My mom's is spicy and I've been told "puts hair on your chest"! I think they're delicious and I'm sure you will too.

CROP - QUANTITY - PRICE
Beans - $2.00 per bag
Swiss Chard - $3.00 per bag
Slicer Cucumbers - 2 for $1.00
Pickling Cucumbers - $2.00 per pound
Beets - $2.00 per bunch (6 beets in a bunch)
Zucchini - 4 for $1.00
Summer Squash - 4 for $1.00
New Potatoes - $2.00 per pound
Peas (unshelled) - $2.00 per bag
Romaine Lettuce - 1 gal bag - $3.00
Garlic - 2 plants - $1.00
Onion - 2 plants - $1.00
Shallot - 1 plant - $1.00

Delivery will be Thursday, August 7th. Please email your orders by 6pm on Wednesday, with all this wonderful produce, I need time to pick it all! Thanks again, to all of you, I really love being able to share this great food and I'm having so much fun!!
---Annie


And just to get you excited for the weeks to come...the corn is tasseling, the tomatoes are green, the peppers are as big as my thumb, the cabbages are rounding out...oohhhh, this is so exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read each and every comment, thank you for sharing in our farm!